You can create a status exit date custom field to preserve the date that issue was transitioned from the specified status. For instance, if your issue can transition to any status from Backlog, then you can define a field to see when the issue was transitioned from Backlog to any status. This field is calculated (read-only) custom field.
To create a status exit date field
- Navigate to JIRA Admin > Add-ons > Enhancer Plugin Menu > Custom Field Configuration and switch to Date tab.
- Click on Add new Date custom field link button and select Status Exit Date
- Fill the dialog accordingly
- Give a name to the custom field
- Select Status to hold date when the issue's status was changed from this status to any status. You can select multiple statuses
- Specify First of Last as the issue can re-visit this status (e.g. Open - In Progress - Resolved - Open - In Progress)
- And click Add Custom Field button. That's it.
This custom field can be used to sort or search in issue navigator.