Import Assets from CSV page is under Assets > Import Assets from CSV
You can export your Assets and Inventory Plugin data to Excel file as well as import from Excel.
Summary to start:
a) Add 3 or 4 assets to the asset type and please fill in all the fields.
b) Open CSV Import page
c) Select an asset type
d) Click "Download CSV file for add or update" to get the template with current asset
e) Please be careful with CSV application you use. Excel changes the Date and Number formats without asking you. Please see How to open CSV files properly on Microsoft Excel
f) To update current data, just edit the row
g) To add new assets, please leave "Asset ID" column values empty. If there is an ID in the first columun for rows 2 and rest, it will be an update operation.
h) If you get format error, open the CSVs in text editor and compare the file you downloaded on the Step "d" with the your version.
How CSV import/export works?
CSV bulk import/export works with predefined CSV templates. Columns need to match with asset type attributes. You need to define the attributes and asset type before importing with CSV.
Step 1: Select the asset type you wish to work.
Step 2: Use "Download empty CSV template file" template to add new assets or use "Download CSV file for update" link to download all the assets of the asset type.
- You can add new assets or update the current assets with just one upload operation.
- Leave Asset ID column value empty to add new assets. If the Asset ID column has a number value, this record will be processed as an Update operation
- Delete the rows of the assets in the CSV file if you don't want to change them.
- If you don't want to change any attribute value, don't change it.
Step 3: Unique asset name behaviour will determine whether to check existing assets names or not. Create unknown values behaviour will determine if it tries to create value for attributes when attribute value doesn't exist. Decide the behaviour.
Step 4: Upload the CSV file and submit the form.Unique asset name behavior will determine whether to check existing assets names or not. Create unknown values behaviour will determine if it tries to create value for attributes when attribute value doesn't exist. Decide the behaviour. Upload the CSV file and submit the form.
Open CSV file with an application
When you open CSV file with the applications such as MS-Excel or Libre Office, please make sure to set the file (open) import options as below:
- Character Set: UTF-8
- Separator Options: Separated By Comma (Uncheck Tab, Semicolon and Space)
How to open CSV files properly on Microsoft Excel
Before importing data please pay attention;
- File's character set is UTF-8
- Data is separated by commas
- Multi field value's are separated by semicolon ";", i.e. "value1;value2;value3"
- Asterisks (*) at CSV headers marks required fields.
- Date formats must match the JIRA date-time formats. If you use Excel, please be careful. When your OS and JIRA date-time formats don't match, Excel may change the date-time values to match your OS settings. Your current formats for date and date-time are: "d/MMM/yy" (11/May/20) and "dd/MMM/yy h:mm a" (11/May/20 11:50 AM).
- Only one CSV upload operation is permitted at a time. Please wait for the current process to finish.
Uploading a file needs a modern browser that supports HTML 5 such as Internet Explorer 10, Chrome 20, Firefox 22, Opera 12, Safari 5
Office Application for Mac Users
We recommend Libre Office (free and open-source) or MS-Excel to work with CSV files. Numbers application for macOS is a good software but there is no delimiter option while exporting to the CSV file and it always exports semicolon (;) separated values instead of comma (,) separated values.
CSV file format
Detailed documentation can be found at Common Format Type for Comma-Separated Values (CSV) Files
You can cancel your Import when import in progress.
When your import was completed you can check error messages below of the page, if any exist.
For another CSV import, you must click the "Acknowledge" button.